Thursday, April 14, 2011

its aliveeeeee

"'Be calm! I entreat you to hear me, before you give vent to your hatred on my devoted head. Have I not suffered enough, that you seek to increase my misery? Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it." page 69

Aww the two finally meet up to talk. Victor finally meets the eyes of his creation. One would think that a monster would speak in short, simple sentences, but not this one. Victor's monster speaks just as well as he. Even though this is a ghost story, Shelley conveys to the reader it is a realistic one. Victor's monster speaks just like an adult that has been alive for several decades, unlike the monster. He is the real deal. This also shows the reader that Victor had high expectations for his creation, and would not settle for subpar. This goes back to the duty theme of the novel. Victor would not simply make a monster that would be created without uber consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment